UPDATE: Victoria allocated $500,000 for better bike parking downtown in the 2020 budget, but due to COVID-19 it was deferred
Do you want better bike parking downtown? Right now the City of Victoria is asking about your budget priorities for 2020 and with our recent bike survey of over 500 people showing 80% of riders are dissatisfied with current options, now is a great time to ask for upgrades for better bike parking.
What did our survey find?
- Only 20.5% are satisfied with current secure bike parking options
- 80% of respondents are concerned about bike theft with 53% having had a bike stolen and only 15% of stolen bikes were ever recovered
- Over 70% of respondents park on the street or in parkades
- 62% of respondents would prefer a bike parkade or bike cage
- The use of cargo bikes (7.9%) and bikes with e-assist (16.3%) are growing
- 64% of respondents would be willing to pay a small fee for improved bike parking
- 69% want parking close to their destination
You can read our full summary and recommendations (PDF) for more information
What are we asking for?
To allocate money in the 2020 budget to upgrade existing parkades with more bike cages, better racks and tighter security to encourage riders to come downtown.
Thanks all that submitted to the city and the city’s budget survey is closed. We will be organizing a Bike Parking committee in the new year. Add your name below if you’re interested in helping out.